Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Convincing argument for prescription acne meds?

I'm 14 and I've had really horrible acne for over 2 years now--it's all over my forehead, cheeks, chin, and a little on my back. I've tried a TON of stuff, ProActive, Oxy, Neutragena, Clean %26amp; Clear, Clearasyl, plus a lot of store brands, and it always gets a little better in the beginning but then it just goes back to normal and I can never get it to go away! Our pediatrician said I could get prescription medication for it if I wanted, but my mom won't let me. She calls it ';unnecessary medication';, and that these things always make more problems than they solve, and that my acne will clear up on it's own over time.


But I hate it! I can't go to high school like this! I've tried to tell her how much it bothers me but she just blows it off----what are some good arguments I can use for getting her to let me get prescription meds?Convincing argument for prescription acne meds?
man that sucks, i'm sorry.





since you're only 14, your acne probably wouldn't go away by itself for at least 5 years, maybe longer. some people keep having acne through their adult years. clearing up your skin would boost your self-confidence immensely, and not having to worry about your skin would help you focus more on school and the rest of your life.





since Accutane is pretty dangerous, i think you should start smaller.





go to your pediatrician, and ask her about the side effects, pros/cons, etc. of a prescription like Benzaclin.


****make sure your mom is there to hear how minimal the side effects are, and how awesome the benefits are. *****


seriously, it's just dry/flaky skin that's easily counteracted with a daily moisturizer.





i started getting acne when i was about 12, and like you, tried pretty much everything, including proactiv. then i got on benzaclin when i was about 15 and it works great. i use clean%26amp;clear dual action moisturizer for everyday, and those little 50 cent tins of Nivea cream when my skin's super dry.





good luck, prescriptions really are the way to go in this case imo.Convincing argument for prescription acne meds?
Have you tried any natural cures?





EarthClinic has a number of people successfully using vinegar for acne...





http://earthclinic.com/CURES/acne.html








Worth a try. Price is right. Good luck.
That's a shame, but I get the same problem all the time with mothers and their kids in my office. If the mother is really against the child being on an oral agent, then at least I can start with a topical antibiotic/benzoyl peroxide product and see what it does over 6 weeks. If that doesn't do the trick, then I will have a heart to heart talk with the mother, and ask specifically what about the oral agents she's afraid of. Usually it's the myth that it will make you more susceptible to infections, and ruin your immune system. I tell her that the huge 20 year studies showed no problems taking the usual course of antibiotics; in addition, the risk of suicide in teens who have bad self esteem from acne is very large; and that treating the acne can, at times, be life saving.


Usually, the moms eventually relent.


Of course, your mom may be saying that on the basis of financial needs at the moment, as going to the doctor for professional help and getting prescription meds is not cheap.
  • topical cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment